Lake Tahoe straddles the California/Nevada state line, and has reigned supreme as the premier ski destination in the United States for decades. What ski adventures await you on the shores of this pristine alpine lake? Find out the top five reasons Lake Tahoe is a ski mecca below!
1. Plenty of Powder- Lake Tahoe is known for seeing blustering blizzards. The 2015 season ended with a total snowfall of 424 inches of the white stuff.
2. An Abundance of Resorts to Choose From- No matter what kind of resort you favor, you’re sure you find in the Lake Tahoe valley. Some of the notable resorts include Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows and Heavenly.
3. Stunning Mountain Vistas- Snow-covered peaks coupled with Lake Tahoe’s shimmering water in the background make any resort in the Lake Tahoe valley worth visiting alone. Take a breather at the top of your descent to admire nature’s handiwork.
4. Enjoy More than Just Skiing- Several resorts have incorporated alternate snow activities into their offerings, such as snow tubing and sledding for when you begin to tire of skiing.
5. Enjoy Lake Tahoe Year-Round- If you never want to leave, you don’t have to. Resorts such as Squaw Valley offer you the chance to experience Lake Tahoe without the snow, but with all the beauty intact.
Best Ski Resort Destinations: Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows
Squaw Valley Lake Tahoe resort has maintained its vibrant ski history since it humbly hosted the 1960 Winter Olympics, and has since grown into a thriving ski resort. With a bustling village that brings to mind alpine buildings to slopes for all skill levels, there is nothing that your ski adventure will lack by staying at Squaw Valley. With 3,600 skiable acres of land, 270 trails and plenty of lifts there is no lack of adventure to be had at Squaw Valley.
Alpine Meadows is Squaw Valley’s tamer side, with 2,400 acres of skiable land and several lifts. Alpine Meadows focuses on the land and the experience of skiing, with relaxing chalet-style lodges to help transport you to the ski resort of your dreams when resting for the next day’s adventure.